Meatout Mondays Recipe of the Week: Avocado, Mango, Kimchi Sushi
Making great veggie sushi is a bit of an art -- and it's fun to learn how. Start with this yummy recipe and you won't want to stop. If you haven't made sushi before, you might want to check out a video tutorial like this one to see how easy it can be. Once you've got your technique down, you'll be able to experiment with your favorite ingredients: different kinds of rice, loads of veggies, and even fresh fruit. Have fun!
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
1 teaspoon mirin (rice wine)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 nori sheets
1/2 cup cabbage kimchi
1/2 mango, peeled and sliced into thin strips
1/2 avocado, peeled and sliced into thin strips
1/4 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked rice with the brown rice vinegar, miring and salt.
- Layout one sheet of nori, smooth side up, on top of the plastic wrapped rolling mat.
- Spread rice out on top of the nori, leaving about 1/2 an inch clear at the end of the nori sheet farthest from you.
- About 1-2 inches from the end closest to you, layout 1/2 of the filling ingredients in a strip going from side to side.
- Using the rolling mat, roll the sushi tightly over the strip of ingredients, using your fingers to keep it packed in as much as possible. Wet the clear end of the nori with a little bit of water so that when you roll it over, the nori will stick.
- Using a sharp knife, chop into a total of eight pieces. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe and photo courtesy of KeepinItKind.com.
For this amazingly creative recipe and more, visit KeepinItKind.com: